Guidance and Educational Psychology Department
The Educational Psychology and Guidance Department at Agora Madrid International School is responsible for ensuring that each student receives the individual help and guidance that they need to succeed academically, socially and personally.The Educational Psychology Department supports the work of teaching staff in order to coordinate and integrate every student’s progress. Problems with the learning process or complex social or family situations can all affect a child’s anxiety levels or their capacity to succeed, and it is very common for children to need professional support in order to help them to address any issues and move forward.
Main functions of the Educational Psychology Department:
Psycho Pedagogical evaluation:
- Early detection of learning difficulties.
- Individual assessment of academic development and personal abilities.
- Collective evaluation to determine comparative learning levels.
Psycho Pedagogical intervention and orientation:
- Literacy groups: to encourage effective reading, enrich vocabulary and improve written expression.
- Spelling improvement programme: encouraging efficient spelling correction through improving visual memory.
- Intervention with learning difficulties: assistance with specific difficulties in reading, writing, concentration, etc.
- Speech Therapy: for students from 4 years old who experience difficulties with articulation. Small groups of 3-4 students grouped according to the level of difficulty they are experiencing at the time. Aims to enhance communication skills and to improve articulation and semantic and morphosyntactic skills.
- Learning and study techniques: classes for secondary students designed to promote effective learning.
- Careers advice: helping secondary students to make appropriate choices for life after school.
Tutorials & Meetings:
- Individual meetings with parents and teachers: to ensure a coordinated approach to guiding students’ academic and personal progress.
- Establishing links with other professionals: psychologists, speech therapists, doctors, private tutors, etc … in order to coordinate individual student progress.
- Student tutorials: students can talk to our highly-trained Educational Psychologists in order to help them to deal with any academic, social or personal issues that they may be facing.
Advice, forums and discussions for parents and teachers on learning difficulties, pastoral, personal and social well-being.
Personalised attention for pupils
The personalised attention for pupils is one of the fundamental purposes of the Psycho-pedagogy Department. Close and individualised monitoring enables us to design plans which allow each pupil to grow at their own pace, offering them academic and professional guidance, as well as advice for drawing up their study and homework plans.
In the case of new pupils, the Psycho-pedagogy Department gives support to teachers, families, and pupils. The department participates in the transfer of information between tutors, and advises students during their adjustment period, so that their adaptation to the new school is achieved in the best way possible, taking into account the pupil's well-being and needs.
Attention to diversity and psycho-diagnostic assessment
The Psycho-pedagogy Department offers a differentiating service that is Attention to Diversity whose aim is to prevent, identify, and respond to the main difficulties that pupils might show throughout the learning process. We understand diversity as both learning difficulties (problems with attention, laterality, reading and writing), emotional difficulties (problems when relating with classmates, behaviour in class, and those originating in family difficulties), and high abilities (giftedness, talent, and intellectual precocity).
Support for families and teachers
The Educational Psychology Department collaborates directly with tutors, teachers, and families to help enhance each pupil's skills. It is open to questions from families and organises the Parents' School conferences, as well as debates and workshops which provide the necessary information and education to contribute to the children's comprehensive development. In addition, the department optimises the teamwork of the teachers, enabling families to receive the right information at all times.